Well, I got a chance to see the first two episodes of the new Star Trek and here are my thoughts:
- If you obsess about canon, this series will trigger you hard. There is no way you can sensibly integrate this into the same universe as TOS without serious mental violence so my suggestion is just let it go.
- This series is dark. Not just thematically, but in terms of palette. If you prefer the historical Trek aesthetic, you may be better off watching The Oriville.
- I don’t think I can judge the series itself because it has yet to establish a status quo. The first two episodes are really a prologue setting up the main character’s backstory.
- If we judge by the first two episodes, this will be a Trek where blowing ships up is going to be a regular thing.
- I don’t like the design of the new Klingons, and that seems to be a common sentiment.
- Still it’s watchable, and I liked the main characters…
- …but not enough to pay for yet another streaming service just for the one show.