December 12, 2008
On Dear Author we hear of a woman who’s held a funeral for her failed writing career. When I read the post my thoughts went something like this:
- Sixteen rejections is a low threshold for career failure.
- Can you base a career on the viability of a single novel (probably a first effort?)
- Hold on, this got play in the New Yorker?
- There’s a website devoted to this?
- And wait a minute, you can buy the self-published book. . .
- And look at the site’s graveyard theme, and the title, Family Plots? Get it?
- This woman may be a genius.